Music

The Weeknd Says He Will Boycott the Grammys Going Forward After 2021 Nominations Snub

The Weeknd has stated that he will boycott the Grammys going forward, refusing to attend or put his work forward for contention from here on out. “Because of the secret committees, I will no longer allow my label to submit my music to the Grammys,” he said in a statement to The New York Times.

The Canadian singer’s most recent album After Hours was one of the biggest albums of the year in 2020, debuting at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart upon its release in March. It was widely considered the largest snub of the year when the 2021 Grammy nominations were announced in November. The Weeknd now joins the ranks of artists like Drake and Frank Ocean, who have previously criticized and boycotted the awards show. Frank notably declined to submit neither Blonde nor Endless in the year they were eligible.

Pitchfork has reached out to representatives for the Weeknd and the Recording Academy for further comment.

Follow all of Pitchfork’s coverage of the 2021 Grammy Awards.

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Universal’s Managing Director For France, Xavier Albert, Adding Italy To Purview
Tippet Rise on Tour: Spring Festival CONCERT FILMS | Sunday, April 18th, 2021 6PM MDT
SBH Spring Concert 2021 presents: “GEORGIA” & “LITTLE PRETTY ONE”
Live after-concert Q&A with Marko Topchii
The Fun Way Michael B Jordan Learned Fight Choreography For Creed And Black Panther

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *