The United States will be looking for a little payback just days into the new year when they face off against Finland in the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship semifinals.
Each of the last two tournaments it was the Finns that sent the Americans home without the ultimate prize of a gold medal: 2020 was in the quarterfinals and 2019 in the gold-medal game. Eight players return for Team USA from last year and one, goaltender Spencer Knight, who is expected to be in net for the U.S., was on the team for both tournaments.
This one will be another battle between two evenly matched teams with soon-to-be NHLers littering the roster. The one thing that could give the Americans the advantage is that Finland is one of the most penalized teams in the tournament and the U.S. has the most efficient power play (8-for-19).
These two teams did meet up in a pre-tournament tune-up that saw the Americans win 3-2 backed by two Cole Caufield goals but now it’s go-time.
“I remember it was both of our first games coming into the tournament, and both teams were getting a feel for each other,” said defenseman Ryan Johnson after the U.S. advanced with a quarterfinal win over the Slovaks. “I think both teams have progressed. Watching Finland they look a lot better but, same with us as well. I think it’ll be a good matchup.”
Here’s how to watch the United States and Finland go toe-to-toe with a spot in the gold-medal game on the line.
How to watch USA vs. Finland
- TV channel (Canada): TSN
- Live stream (Canada): TSN Live
- TV channel (USA): NHL Network
- Live stream (USA): fuboTV (7-day free trial)
USA vs. Finland: When is puck drop?
- Date: Monday, Jan. 4
- Time: 9:30 p.m. ET
World Juniors 2021: Latest news
- Time, TV channel, live stream, where, when, schedule
- How has COVID-19 impacted the tournament?
- Rosters, NHL draft status, jersey numbers for all 10 teams
- Breakdown of every NHL teams’ prospects
- Predictions: Hockey experts pick who will win gold
- It’s gold or bust’: NHL players look back on World Junior Championship memories
- A team-by-team guide to the under-20 championship
- Dach, Caufield and the top four storylines
- Oilers’ Philip Broberg impresses with three assists for Sweden
- Senators’ Tim Stuetzle scores two goals in Germany’s overtime win
- Predictions, odds, X-factors, breakdowns for quarterfinal matchups
- Leafs prospect Roni Hirvonen sends Finland to semis with late goal
- Predictions, odds, X-factors, breakdowns for semifinal matchups
Which teams are in the 2021 World Junior Championship?
Ten teams, divided into two groups of five, are participating.
|Group A||Group B|
Full schedule for the 2021 World Junior Championship
(All times Eastern)
|MONDAY, JAN. 4|
|SF: Canada vs. Russia||6 p.m.||TSN, NHLN|
|SF: USA vs. Finland||9:30 p.m.||TSN, NHLN|
|TUESDAY, JAN. 5|
|Bronze-medal game||5:30 p.m.||TSN, NHLN|
|Gold-medal game||9:30 p.m.||TSN, NHLN|
Who has won the IIHF World Junior Championships in the last 10 years?
Which countries have won the most medals at the World Junior Championship?
* Includes medals won as the Soviet Union and CIS
+ Includes medals won as Czechoslovakia